Long time, no blog! There has been a whole heckuva lot going on in the world of The Chickeness these past few months, and now that one major job has come to a close, I'm looking forward to spending more of my time with the birds once again.
So... news and upcoming events!
- Did you know that Somerville has a new Center for Urban Agriculture, called Relish? Well we do, and I am SO excited about it!! On June 13th (THIS THURSDAY!) I will be presenting my Yardbirds' "Backyard Chickens 101" class at Relish, which is in Union Square (behind The Independent). The class is $15 - for more info and to pre-register go here.
- Also at Relish on July 20th, Yardbirds will be doing our first all-day DIY coop workshop from 10am-4pm. Come for the day, learn all the things, and go home with a coop of your own! Stay tuned for details.
- Did you know that I've been working to help the City of Boston come up with some new zoning that will allow and encourage urban agriculture in the city? I have been, and they have recently released it for public comment and feedback. Please help the City of Boston see that residents support urban ag (especially chickens!) and encourage each neighborhood to adopt the new urban ag-focused rezoning for their area by attending upcoming neighborhood meetings! We really need public support for chickens to become legal to keep in each of these neighborhoods, so any and all voices are helpful. Here is the BRA website with more detailed info, a site where you can download your own copy of Draft Article 89, and the full schedule of neighborhood meetings:
- June 12th - Roxbury - 6:30-8:30pm (This Wednesday!) at Roxbury Community College, 2nd floor cafeteria, 1234 Columbus Ave
- June 18th - Jamaica Plain - 6-8pm at the English High School auditorium, 144 McBride St
- June 19th, 12-1pm, Twitter chat #UrbanAgBOS
- June 26th - Allson/Brighton - 6-7:45pm at the Honan Branch Library, 300 N. Harvard St, Allston
- July 1st - Dorchester - 6:30-8:30pm at Dorchester House, 1353 Dorchester Ave
- July 15th - Dorchester #2 - 6:30-8:30pm at The Great Hall, 6 Norfolk St
- July 8th - East Boston - 6-7:45pm at the Maverick Landing Community Room, 31 Liverpool St
- July 10th - Roslindale/West Roxbury - 6:30-8:30pm at the Roche Community Center, 1716 Centre St, W Roxbury
- July 17th - Hyde Park/Mattapan - 6:30-8:30pm at the Municipal Bldg auditorium, 1179 River St, Hyde Park
- July 24th - Back Bay/South End/Bay Village/Audubon Circle/Fenway/Kenmore/Longwood - 6-8pm at the Copley Branch BPL in Raab Hall, 700 Boylston St, Boston Back Bay
- July 31st - South Boston - 6:30-8:30pm at Condon Elementary School cafeteria, 200 D St.
- On that note, the City of Cambridge is following suit, and has recently started discussions about how to handle urban ag rezoning within their city too! Stay tuned here or on the Yardbirds website for how you can help make this happen.
- And finally, check out this great article in the June issue of Edible Boston: Coops de Ville, featuring yours truly, as well as some of my friends and clients!